Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Did I just get a preview of the teenaged years?

They say you get paid back threefold for what you did to your parents. If this is the case, I am in for a world of trouble for the next 16-18 years or so. Jeremy and I....we just weren't the easiest to raise! ;-)

This morning, as we were doing the usual rush around and trying to get out the door on time, I had Aiden go get his shoes and socks on. He comes back with his sandals. Now, it's like 45* out and has been raining steadily since around 8 p.m. last night. Even I'm not crazy enough to sport my flip flops. Naturally, I say, "those won't do, get your regular shoes and socks por favor."

The next part of the conversation went as follows:

Aiden - *loud sigh* I don't like mommies.
Me - Why is that? We take care of you, feed you, drive you places, make sure you have clean clothes...
Aiden - I can take care of myself! I know how!

......Ummm, when did my 4 year old turn 14? Happily, he wasn't actually getting upset like a real teenager would, and put on the right shoes without a fight, but the situation just surprised me. In 10 years or so, those same words will sound bitter and he probably really will feel that he could take care of himself. I know I did at that age. Could not WAIT to get out, and now I wish I could go be 14 again.

Nothing has made me appreciate my own parents more than becoming a parent myself.

2 comments:

  1. This rings SO true! One of my favorite quotes is "By the time a woman realizes her mother was right, she has a daughter who thinks she's wrong."

    I'm NOT looking forward to the teenage years with my two. I wasn't a hard child to raise, but I was stubborn. Best of luck dear, I know we'll both need it!

    ReplyDelete